The CrossFit Surmount Second Anniversary Celebration will be held Saturday, April 4! Workouts will be held at 8:30, 9:45, and 11 am, and the celebration will held from noon until 2:30. Be sure to join us for lunch, contests, and door prizes! Our sponsors include Back to Basics Chiropractic, WODBody Massage, Kill Cliff, Two Fit Girls, Custom Fit Meals, Atlas Wraps, and Massage by (our very own) Danielle. Family members are invited to attend. Please be sure to RSVP.
The Running Clinic was a tremendous success! I will be holding a Running Clinic at CrossFit Goliath on Saturday, April 11.
→ The Games continue! As I’ve stated before, I am a strong proponent of only attempting each workout once. If you’d like to complete a trial run during a Friday session, you may do so. Inform the coach leading the session that it is a trial run. If you are doing a trial run, the expectation is that you will not complete the workout as prescribed (even if you’re completing scaled). For example, decrease the weight, complete few rounds, tap out after a certain number of reps or a specified time. Completing the workout more than once as prescribed may lead to overuse injuries, poor performance on upcoming workouts, burnout, etc. A reminder that only members who have officially registered will have their workouts judged, have scores validated, and be eligible for prizes.
A reminder about judging guidelines:
- Focus on judging the athlete. You are there to judge – and not to coach. You may cheer for and encourage the athlete if they ask you to do so. You may, of course, congratulate the athlete after the workout.
- Tell an athlete why a rep didn’t count, e.g., “No rep. Your chest didn’t touch the floor.” “No rep. You didn’t hit the target.” “No rep. You didn’t extend your hips.” Do not say things such as “Good job”, “You got this”, “Hands on the bar”, “Time is running out”, etc.
- State “no rep” loud enough for the athlete to hear you, but no so loud that other athletes may think you’re calling “no rep” to them. If possible, position yourself in front or to the side of the athlete so that he or she can see you state “no rep”. Cross your arms in front of your midsection as you do so.
- The athlete is responsible for his or her own equipment. Only move a KB, barbell, medicine ball, etc., if it gets in the way of another athlete. For example, if a barbell rolls away from the athlete, he or she is responsible for retrieving the barbell. If the barbell begins to roll into the area where another athlete is competing, then retrieve the barbell.
- Be consistent. Be confident. Be kind.
Open 15.3 will be released this Thursday, March 12 at 8 pm ET. The workout will be programmed for Friday with an additional workout held Sunday from 9:45 to 10:45. If you’d like to complete a trial run during a Friday session, you may do so.
→ The March WOD and Wine will be held THIS FRIDAY, March 13. Meet at Tribeca Tavern immediately following the 6:30 session. Be sure to RSVP so that we may get an accurate headcount for reservations. We’ll be celebrating the Resolution Challenge winners as well! Tribeca Tavern has many Paleo options.
→ CrossFit Endurance will be held Tuesday & Thursday at 7 am and 6:30 pm beginning THIS TUESDAY, March 10. The same workout will be held during both the morning and evening sessions. If you haven’t already done so, let me know if you’ll be participating. Class size will be limited and consistent attendance is expected.
→ Coach Jeff and Evelyn will be holding a Clean & Jerk Clinic Saturday, April 18 from 1 to 4 pm. Additional details will be provided soon.
- Monday – Fives not quite filthy sets of 10 reps
- Tuesday – Partner workout
- Wednesday – Rope climbs, benchmark row, and triplet
- Thursday – Rest Day and Open Gym
- Friday – Open 15.3
- Saturday – TBD
- Sunday – TBD