A special thank you to Coach Jeff and Holly for arranging the March Workout and Wine! The event was a tremendous success, and it was wonderful getting together with all of you. We’ll be meeting at a different location each month, so share your suggestions.
A friendly reminder to respect the equipment. Please do not drop plate plates, dumbbells, kettle bells, clips, etc. It is especially important that you not drop metal plates, as they may break. You may have noticed me gently and carefully rolling a loaded barbell across the platforms. While not advisable, it is certainly preferable to kicking the barbell across the floor. Uhm, your hands and not your feet should always be used to move the barbell.
Notice that in addition to a preview of daily CrossFit workouts, a preview of Endurance and CF Express workouts are now included.
→ The Games continue! If you’d like to complete a trial run during a Friday session, you may do so. Inform the coach leading the session that it is a trial run. If you are doing a trial run, the expectation is that you will not complete the workout as prescribed (even if you’re completing scaled). For example, decrease the weight, complete fewer rounds, tap out after a certain number of reps or a specified time. A reminder that only members who have officially registered will have their workouts judged, have scores validated, and be eligible for prizes.
Yet another reminder about judging guidelines:
- Focus on judging the athlete. You are there to judge – and not to coach. You may cheer for and encourage the athlete if they ask you to do so. You may, of course, congratulate the athlete after the workout.
- Tell an athlete why a rep didn’t count, e.g., “No rep. Your chest didn’t touch the floor.” “No rep. You didn’t hit the target.” “No rep. You didn’t extend your hips.” Do not say things such as “Good job”, “You got this”, “Hands on the bar”, “Time is running out”, etc.
- State “no rep” loud enough for the athlete to hear you, but no so loud that other athletes may think you’re calling “no rep” to them. If possible, position yourself in front or to the side of the athlete so that he or she can see you state “no rep”. Cross your arms in front of your midsection as you do so.
- The athlete is responsible for his or her own equipment. Only move a KB, barbell, medicine ball, etc., if it gets in the way of another athlete. For example, if a barbell rolls away from the athlete, he or she is responsible for retrieving the barbell. If the barbell begins to roll into the area where another athlete is competing, then retrieve the barbell.
- Be consistent. Be confident. Be kind.
Open 15.4 will be released this Thursday, March 19 at 8 pm ET. The workout will be programmed for Friday with an additional workout held Sunday from 9:45 to 10:45.
→ The CrossFit Surmount Second Anniversary Celebration will be held Saturday, April 4! Workouts will be held at 8:30, 9:45, and 11 am, and the celebration will held from noon until 2:30. Be sure to join us for lunch, contests, and door prizes. Our sponsors include Back to Basics Chiropractic, WODBody Massage, Kill Cliff, Two Fit Girls, Custom Fit Meals, Atlas Wraps, and Massage by (our very own) Danielle. Family members are invited to attend. Please be sure to RSVP.
Grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, salad, unsweetened ice tea, and water will be provided. Coach Deborah will be making a non-Paleo cake and Evelyn will be making a Paleo cake. If you’d like to bring a side and/or drinks (including adult beverages), please feel free to do so! The more food and drinks, the better.
→ Coach Paul will be holding a Running Clinic Saturday, April 11 at CrossFit Goliath. CFS members are invited to attend at a discounted rate.
→ Coach Jeff and Evelyn will be holding a Clean & Jerk Clinic Saturday, April 18 from 1 to 4 pm. Additional details will be provided soon.
- Monday – Thrusters, a triplet and then a couplet
- Tuesday – Partner and then “Cindyish” workouts
- Wednesday – Partner workout (You may need to “fight” to get the best partner.)
- Thursday – Rest Day and Open Gym
- Friday – Open 15.4
- Saturday – TBD
- Sunday – TBD
- Tuesday – Sled pulls and time trial
- Thursday – “Native American” run (Meet at White Oak Church entrance of American Tobacco Trail)
CF Express WODs
- Monday/Tuesday – Push, pull, squat, & run
- Wednesday/Thursday – Dumbbell complex & benchmark workout