Coach Paul’s Weekly Update
Congratulations to all who actively participated in the 2016 Lurong Living Resolution Challenge! It was a tremendous success. The overall points winners will be announced at the box and in next week’s update.
The 2016 CrossFit Game begin THIS WEEK! We’ll be completing the workouts on Saturdays throughout the Games. Select CrossFit Surmount as your affiliate when registering. I strongly encourage each and every member to do so. A reminder that there are teen, scaled, and masters divisions. This is going to be fun!
Speaking of the Games, effective THIS Saturday and Sunday (February 27 & 28) and for the duration of the Games, the Open WOD will be held Saturday during regularly scheduled sessions with make-up time on Sunday from 9:30 to 11. There will be no workout programmed for Sunday. If you complete the Open WOD on Saturday you may attend the Sunday session to work on skills, make up a different missed workout, etc. In other words, Sunday may also be used for Open Gym.
Only members who have officially registered will have their workouts judged, have scores validated, and be eligible for prizes.
- Focus on judging the athlete. You are there to judge — and not to coach. You may cheer for and encourage the athlete if they ask you to do so. You may, of course, congratulate the athlete after the workout.
- Tell an athlete why a rep didn’t count, e.g., “No rep. Your chest didn’t touch the floor.” “No rep. You didn’t hit the target.” “No rep. You didn’t extend your hips.” Do not say things such as “Good job,” “You got this,” “Hands on the bar,” “Time is running out,” etc.
- State “no rep” loud enough for the athlete to hear you but no so loud that other athletes may think you’re calling “no rep” to them. If possible, position yourself in front or to the side of the athlete so that he or she can see you state “no rep”. Cross your arms in front of your midsection as you do so.
- The athlete is responsible for his or her own equipment. Only move a barbell, medicine ball, kettle bell, etc., if it gets in the way of another athlete. For example, if a barbell rolls away from the athlete, he or she is responsible for retrieving the barbell. If the barbell begins to roll into the area where another athlete is competing, then retrieve the barbell.
- Be consistent. Be confident. Be kind.
I will be hosting a Running Clinic Saturday, March 12, from 8 am to noon. As most members are aware, I am an experienced endurance athlete, having run 40 marathons or ultras. I ran the New York City Marathon in a time of 2:47. That’s fast! Topics include mobility and flexibility, the elements of running with proper form, running drills, running cadence, and running apparel. You will be running frequently during the clinic and there will be a group workout at the end of the session. Wear running apparel and bring your running shoes (multiple pairs if you have them), nutrition, and hydration. All runners, from beginner to experienced, are welcome. The price is $55 for members and $65 for non-members.
CrossFit Surmount is pleased to announce that CrossFit Express will now be offered Tuesday & Thursday from 5:30 to 6:15 pm beginning March 15! The program has been so successful that we’ve added these additional sessions. Please share with information with your friends!
- Every other minute quartet
- Push press
- Every 45 seconds triplet
- Hero WOD
- Turkish get up
- KB tabatas
- Partner WOD with rowing
- CrossFit Games Open 16.1
- CrossFit Games Open 16.1
- Back squat
- 7-min triplet AMRAP
- Partner WOD