Coach Paul’s Weekly Update
The Running Clinic was a tremendous success! I’m very proud of each and every one of you who participated. “Death by 10m” was, well, deadly. Liara and Tonya tied with a score of 16 rounds. Well done!
Endurance begins THIS Tuesday, and sessions will be held Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:30 to 7:30 pm. As previously announced, sessions will be held until the end of May.
A few gentle reminders:
- The expectation is that those who participate commit to attend as many sessions as possible during the 10-week period. I understand that other obligations may prevent you from doing so, e.g., work and family, vacations, illness, etc. Please keep me informed when issues arise.
- If you complete both CrossFit and Endurance sessions on the same day you must attend a morning session of CrossFit (6, 7, 8:30, 9;30 or 11:45 am) before attending the Endurance session. You may not attend the 4 or 5:15 pm session and then attend Endurance, as you will not benefit from the Endurance WOD and you will also risk injury.
- We will often be meeting at locations other than the box so be sure to look at WOD comments.
- Always bring hydration, nutrition (if needed), a sports watch or timer, and a jump rope.
- Wear running attire, e.g., running shoes, socks (long if we run on the American Tobacco Trail), shirts, and shorts. You may also need or choose to wear sunscreen, bug spray, etc.
- Leave your ego at home. It’s likely that someone will run faster than you do, and it may even be that you’re the slowest runner. It doesn’t matter. You’re here to learn and grow and I’m here to provide direction and support.
It’s very likely that sessions will be held Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7:15 to 8:15 am beginning in June. Additional details provided soon.
The 2016 CrossFit Game continue! Congratulations to all of you who tackled and completed 16.3, and a special congratulations to those of you who achieved bar muscle ups. A heartfelt congratulations to all of you (and you know who you are) who are completing the Scaled Games.
A reminder that 16.4 will be held Saturday, March 19 during the 8:30, 9:45, and 11 am sessions with make-up time Sunday from 9:30 to 10:30 am. Again, there will be no workout programmed for Sunday. If you complete the Open WOD on Saturday you may attend the Sunday session to work on skills, make up a different missed workout, etc. In other words, Sunday may also be used for Open Gym.
Only members who have officially registered will have their workouts judged, have scores validated, and be eligible for prizes.
- Focus on judging the athlete. You are there to judge — and not to coach. You may cheer for and encourage the athlete if they ask you to do so. You may, of course, congratulate the athlete after the workout.
- Tell an athlete why a rep didn’t count, e.g., “No rep. Your chest didn’t touch the floor.” “No rep. You didn’t hit the target.” “No rep. You didn’t extend your hips.” Do not say things such as “You got this,” “Hands on the bar,” “Time is running out,” etc.
- State “no rep” loud enough for the athlete to hear you but no so loud that other athletes may think you’re calling “no rep” to them. If possible, position yourself in front or to the side of the athlete so that he or she can see you state “no rep”. Cross your arms in front of your midsection as you do so.
- The athlete is responsible for his or her own equipment. Only move a barbell, medicine ball, kettle bell, etc., if it gets in the way of another athlete. For example, if a barbell rolls away from the athlete, he or she is responsible for retrieving the barbell. If the barbell begins to roll into the area where another athlete is competing, then retrieve the barbell.
- Be consistent. Be confident. Be kind.
- Back squats
- Eight, 90-second AMRAPs
- KB swings benchmark
- Hero WOD
- Double and triple unders
- Increasing time quartet
- “Five for Friday” benchmark WOD
- CrossFit Games Open 16.4
- CrossFit Games Open 16.4
- Team WOD
- Time trials (meet at White Oak Church entrance of American Tobacco Trail)
- Native American Run (meet at White Oak Church entrance of American Tobacco Trail)